As an eye care provider, we understand the passion gamers have for their craft. But with the rise of professional esports and the increasing popularity of gaming marathons, it’s more important than ever to consider the impact of prolonged screen time on eye health. In this post, we’ll explore the role of eye health in gaming marathons, and how the right eyewear can protect and enhance your gaming experience.
The Impact of Gaming on Eye Health
Playing video games for long stretches of time without breaks can cause a range of eye health issues, including digital eye strain and exposure to harmful blue light. Symptoms like dry eyes, blurred vision, and headaches are common among gamers and can impact gaming performance significantly. Here are a few factors to consider when gaming:
- Blue Light Exposure: Digital screens emit blue light, which our eyes are not very good at blocking. Overexposure can lead to eye strain and disrupt our sleep cycle. This is especially crucial during gaming marathons when players are often exposed for several hours at a stretch.
- Digital Eye Strain: When gaming, players often forget to blink, causing eyes to dry out and become irritated. This, combined with focusing on a screen for long periods, can lead to digital eye strain.
Protective Measures for Gamers
Fortunately, gamers can take several measures to protect their eyes during gaming marathons. Here are some of them:
- Using Gaming Eyewear: Special eyeglasses with blue light blocking technology can help lessen the exposure to harmful blue light. Consider investing in a good pair of blue light glasses for gaming to protect your eyes during gaming marathons.
- Regular Breaks: As a rule of thumb, take a 10-minute break every hour to rest your eyes. This break will help reduce eye strain and keep your eyes refreshed.
Selecting the Right Eyewear for Gaming
Choosing the right eyewear for gaming is essential for protecting your eyes and enhancing your gaming experience. Here’s what to consider:
- Blue Light Filter Strength: Gaming glasses should have a sufficient blue light filter strength to protect your eyes from harmful light emitted by screens.
- Frame Comfort: The frame should be comfortable to wear for extended periods. Lightweight frame options are ideal for long gaming sessions.
- Prescription Lenses: If you need prescription glasses, make sure your gaming glasses have the right prescription to avoid straining your eyes.
Surviving gaming marathons doesn’t have to mean compromising your eye health. With the right gaming eyewear, frequent breaks, and conscious effort to blink regularly, you can enjoy your marathon gaming sessions without straining your eyes. Remember, your health is as crucial as your high score!
About the Author: Dr. Steven Liem, OD, FAAO
Dr. Steven Liem, O.D., F.A.A.O. is an optometrist based in Pasadena, California. After obtaining his doctorate from UC Berkeley’s School of Optometry, he completed his residency in Pediatrics, Vision Therapy & Rehabilitation and became a Fellow of the American Academy of Optometry. When he isn’t busy streaming or making Youtube videos about video games, Dr. Liem aims to broaden accessibility to vision health through his involvement in optometric industry and tech.