Quick Fixes To Make Your Glasses More Comfortable
- BY Zenni Optical
Pinching, crooked, slipping off the nose. These are all common problems that can make wearing your glasses anything but pleasant. Sometimes frames, new and old, just need to be adjusted a bit. Making your glasses more comfortable is something that you can easily do at home. And when you’ve been wearing them for a while and they get out of shape again, just repeat the adjustments and you’ll be good to go!
How To Adjust Your Glasses at Home
Don’t worry, your glasses can handle a little bending. That said, we do recommend following the tips below to safely adjust your glasses.*
If they’re too loose
Hold a hair dryer or warm water (not boiling) over the end of the temple for about 5 seconds. Carefully apply an inward and downward pressure. Repeat on the other side if needed.
If they’re too tight
Hold a hair dryer or warm water (not boiling) over the end of the temple for about 5 seconds. Carefully apply an outward and upward pressure. Repeat on the other side if needed.
If they pinch your nose
Use your thumbs to spread the nose pads out until they fit comfortably. Don’t bend too much or too quickly, or the metal may snap.
If they’re crooked
Set your glasses down on a flat surface. If one side doesn’t touch, gently bend the temple arm down where it’s most adjustable (at the hinge or your ear). Repeat until both temples sit flat.
If your eyes aren’t centered
This is especially helpful for progressive lens wearers. If you have to raise your chin to read, that means your eye is too high in the frame. To center your eyes, gently push your nose pads together.
If you have to put your head down to see distance, that means your eye is too low in the frame. Gently spread the nose pads apart until your eyes sit center in the frame.
*Some frame materials resist adjustment: titanium, memory titanium, memory plastic, carbon fiber and aluminum alloy. Others are quite adjustable, including stainless steel or plastic / acetate temple arms in which a stainless steel rod is embedded.
Tips For Keeping Your Glasses in Perfect Shape
Now that you have achieved the perfect fit, you want to keep them in perfect shape. All it takes is a little TLC and your glasses will be giving you tons of eye love for years to come.
- Always take your glasses off with two hands to avoid stretching one side more than the other.
- Avoid putting glasses or sunglasses on the top of your head. This will stretch the temples and loosen the frame over time.
- Always store your glasses in a case when you aren’t wearing them to avoid unwanted scratches and accidental damage.
Tips For Keeping Your Glasses From Fogging
Trying to navigate how to exercise or wear a protective mask with your glasses or sunglasses? Here are some tips to help you stop the fog:
- Rub a tiny drop of liquid soap on the inside of your lenses. Rinse quickly and air dry.
- Apply a dollop of shaving cream to your lenses and wipe off with a clean cloth. (This is a quick fix and shouldn’t be done regularly since constant use can affect your lenses over time)
- If DIY methods aren’t cutting it, try an “anti-fog” spray like the ones swimmers use.
Shop Zenni’s new spring arrivals today