- Understanding Your Face Shape: Explore guidelines for different face shapes (round, square, oval) to assist in choosing sunglasses that complement and enhance features.
- Selecting the Right Frame Size: Learn about the importance of proportional frame sizes for small faces, with a focus on lens width and avoiding oversized frames.
- Choosing the Right Style: Discover popular sunglass styles (cat-eye, aviators, round) that work well for small faces, adding a touch of glamor, versatility, and retro flair.
Having a petite face often comes with the challenge of finding the perfect fit and style when it comes to sunglasses. However, with the right guidelines and understanding of your face shape, you can effortlessly select the best pair of sunglasses that will accentuate your features and offer protection from the sun. Here, we will explore some factors to consider when choosing sunglasses for small faces.
Understanding Your Face Shape
The first step to finding the perfect pair of sunglasses is to understand your face shape. This will help you choose frames that will complement your facial features, rather than overpower them. Here are a few general pointers:
- Round Faces: If you have a round face, opt for angular or rectangular frames to give your face some definition.
- Square Faces: For those with square faces, round or oval frames will help soften the sharp angles of your face.
- Oval Faces: If you’re lucky to have an oval face shape, most frame styles will suit you. However, make sure not to choose frames that are too large and cover up more than half of your face.
Selecting the Right Frame Size
For individuals with smaller faces, it’s important not to get lost behind oversized frames. Instead, opt for frames that are proportional to your face size. A pair of sunglasses for small faces will typically have a lens width of around 50mm or less. Remember, the key is to make sure the frames don’t extend past the width of your face.
Choosing the Right Style
Now comes the fun part – choosing a style! With so many options available, it becomes essential to select one that not only suits your face but also reflects your personality. Below are a few popular styles that work well for small faces:
- Cat-eye: This style is universally flattering and adds a touch of glamor to any look. The upswept design of cat-eye sunglasses can create the illusion of higher cheekbones.
- Aviators: While traditionally aviators are larger, there are plenty of aviator sunglasses designs nowadays that cater to smaller faces.
- Round: Small, round frames are a classic choice for those with square or rectangular faces. They add a retro flair and soften angular features.
Color and Material
Finally, consider the color and material of your sunglasses. Don’t shy away from experimenting with different colors. For instance, pink sunglasses can add a fun, youthful vibe to your outfit. When it comes to materials, metal frames are lightweight and durable, while plastic frames come in a wider variety of colors and styles. Choosing a pair of sunglasses should ultimately be an enjoyable experience. So take your time, experiment with different styles, and find the pair that makes you feel confident and stylish.
About the Author: Dr. Sophia Moh, OD, ABOC
Dr. Sophia Moh, OD, is an optometrist based in the Bay Area, California. She holds a doctorate from UC Berkeley School of Optometry and has worked in various eye care settings, including primary care optometry, general ophthalmology, community health clinics, and Veterans Affairs. Dr. Moh is dedicated to improving global vision health by making high-quality, affordable eyewear accessible to all. She is also a certified American Board Optician (ABO) and actively contributes to optical education through training and lectures.