When you’re shopping for eyeglasses, you’ve likely encountered a string of letters and numbers on your prescription, such as OD, OS, and OU. What do these abbreviations mean, and how do they relate to your glasses prescription and buying eyewear from Zenni? In this blog post, we’ll decode the mystery behind OD, OS, and OU, and explain their relevance when purchasing Zenni glasses.
Understanding OD and OS:
OD and OS are abbreviations derived from Latin terms that optometrists and ophthalmologists use to distinguish between the right and left eye in a prescription.
- OD (Oculus Dexter): OD refers to the right eye. In your prescription, you’ll often see the measurements or values for your right eye’s vision correction listed under OD.
- OS (Oculus Sinister): OS, on the other hand, refers to the left eye. Any vision correction values specific to your left eye will be indicated under OS.
- OU (Oculus Uterque): OU refers to both eyes together. When you see OU on your prescription, it means that the vision correction values apply to both your right and left eyes equally. This is common when you have the same prescription for both eyes.
These designations help ensure that eyewear providers, like Zenni, create lenses that are tailored to each eye’s unique prescription, guaranteeing optimal visual clarity.
Why Do OD, OS, and OU Matter When Buying Zenni Glasses?
Understanding these abbreviations is essential when you’re buying eyeglasses, especially from an online provider like Zenni. Here’s why:
- Customized Lenses: Zenni uses your prescription details, including OD and OS measurements, to create lenses that match your specific vision needs for each eye. This ensures that you’ll receive eyeglasses that provide optimal clarity and comfort.
- Accuracy and Comfort: When you enter your prescription on the Zenni website, be sure to input the values for OD and OS accurately. Zenni’s state-of-the-art lens manufacturing process relies on these values to craft lenses that meet your prescription precisely. This attention to detail ensures your eyewear is comfortable to wear and provides the vision correction you need.
- OU for Symmetrical Prescriptions: If your prescription is the same for both eyes and designated as OU, Zenni will create lenses that reflect this symmetry, giving you balanced vision correction. This is a common scenario for individuals with mild nearsightedness or farsightedness.
OD, OS, and OU may seem like mysterious abbreviations, but they play a crucial role in ensuring your eyeglasses meet your unique vision needs. When you purchase eyewear from Zenni, you can trust that your prescription will be carefully considered, with lenses crafted to precise specifications for each eye. Understanding these designations empowers you to make informed choices when buying Zenni glasses, so you can enjoy clear vision and stylish frames tailored just for you.
About the Author: Dr. Steven Liem, OD, FAAO
Dr. Steven Liem, O.D., F.A.A.O. is an optometrist based in Pasadena, California. After obtaining his doctorate from UC Berkeley’s School of Optometry, he completed his residency in Pediatrics, Vision Therapy & Rehabilitation and became a Fellow of the American Academy of Optometry. When he isn’t busy streaming or making Youtube videos about video games, Dr. Liem aims to broaden accessibility to vision health through his involvement in optometric industry and tech.