If you are a runner and wear glasses, you know how difficult it can be to combine the two. The nose pads chafe, your frames slide out of position, and moisture collects on the lenses causing you to have to clean them every 10 seconds. The good news is that we have some easy tips to make running in prescription glasses or sunglasses more comfortable.
The Benefits of Sport Glasses
If you’ve had difficulty running in your prescription glasses, you may want to consider getting a pair of sport glasses or sunglasses. Unlike everyday prescription glasses and sunglasses, sport glasses and prescription goggles are specially designed with wrap-around temple arms and comfortable nose pads to keep your eyewear from slipping down your face while you are active. Â
For extra protection, add impact-resistant lenses, such as polycarbonate or Trivex, to your sport frame. Both polycarbonate and Trivex offer 100% UV protection, which is a must for outdoor sports. Polarized polycarbonate lenses are another great option, as they reduce glare and improve clarity in bright sun.
Tips for Choosing the Right Sport Glasses
1. Invest in Lightweight Frames – Don’t get bogged down with heavy eyewear. Be sure that the frame is made from a lightweight material such as TR90 plastic.
2. Get a Good Fit – Your glasses should be close enough to your eyes to prevent stray light from entering, without your eyelashes touching the lens. The temples should wrap around your head snugly, so that they don’t cause discomfort after several hours of wear.
3. Pick a Quality Frame – The frame should be as durable as possible while still remaining malleable and flexible. This will help to reduce the risk of injury when falling since your eyewear will ‘give way’ instead of breaking.
4. Consider a Strap – Many people use a strap to hold their glasses in place while exercising. This can help glasses stay put as you run.
5. Protect Your Lenses – A high-quality anti-reflective coating that helps sweat droplets bead up will improve your vision when you’re at your peak performance. Opt for special lens coatings that prevent light reflections and smudging from water drops.
All of Zenni’s sport glasses can be customized with your exact prescription. Be sure to get annual eye exams and have your lenses updated whenever your prescription changes to ensure you always see your best.