Aviator sunglasses, a timeless staple in the world of eyewear, boast a rich heritage and an enduring popularity. Originally developed for pilots to protect their eyes while flying, these iconic shades have transcended their practical origins to become a fashion statement that complements virtually any outfit. This guide is meant to help you understand the features of aviator sunglasses and guide your purchase decision at Zenni Optical.
The Design and Features of Aviator Sunglasses
Aviator glasses are characterized by their large, teardrop-shaped lenses, which were designed to cover the entire range of the human eye and prevent light from entering at any angle. The frames are typically made of metal, and are thin yet sturdy. Here are some key features that make aviator sunglasses unique:
- Large, Teardrop Lenses: The oversized lenses provide comprehensive eye coverage, shielding your eyes from harmful UV rays and glare.
- Thin, Metal Frames: The frames are lightweight and comfortable to wear for extended periods, yet robust and durable.
- Double Bridge Design: A distinguishing feature of aviator sunglasses is the double bridge design, adding to their aesthetic appeal and providing additional support to the frames.
- Nose Pads: These ensure a comfortable fit and prevent the glasses from slipping down.
Choosing the Perfect Pair of Aviator Sunglasses
With a variety of styles and colors available, selecting the right pair of aviators can feel like a daunting task. When choosing your sunglasses, consider the size, frame material, and lens type. Remember, the perfect pair should not only look great, but also provide comfort and protection. Here are some factors to consider:
- Frame and Lens Size: Aviators are typically oversized, but make sure they’re not too big or too small for your face. They should fit comfortably and provide ample eye coverage.
- Frame Material: Metal is the traditional choice for aviators, but plastic frames are also available and can offer a different look and feel. Choose a material that you find comfortable and suits your style.
- Lens Type: Consider the lens type based on your needs. For example, if you spend a lot of time outdoors, opt for polarized lenses to reduce glare.
You can explore a variety of aviator sunglasses at Zenni Optical, where you’ll find a wide selection of affordable, high-quality options.
Caring for Your Aviator Sunglasses
Proper care can extend the lifespan of your sunglasses and ensure they continue to provide optimal vision and protection. Here are some tips:
- Cleaning: Use a microfiber cloth and a gentle lens cleaner to clean your sunglasses. Avoid using harsh chemicals or rough materials, as they can damage the lenses.
- Storage: Store your sunglasses in a hard case when not in use to protect them from scratches and other potential damage.
- Handling: Always handle your glasses by the bridge, not the lenses, to prevent smudging.
Aviator sunglasses are not just a fashion accessory, but a necessary shield to protect your eyes from harmful sun rays. Whether you’re on a flight mission or a casual day out, invest in a good pair of sunglasses aviators for a blend of style, comfort, and protection.
About the Author: Dr. Steven Liem, OD, FAAO
Dr. Steven Liem, O.D., F.A.A.O. is an optometrist based in Pasadena, California. After obtaining his doctorate from UC Berkeley’s School of Optometry, he completed his residency in Pediatrics, Vision Therapy & Rehabilitation and became a Fellow of the American Academy of Optometry. When he isn’t busy streaming or making Youtube videos about video games, Dr. Liem aims to broaden accessibility to vision health through his involvement in optometric industry and tech.