Finding the perfect pair of glasses goes beyond the right fit and shape; the color of your frames can make a world of difference to your overall look. When it comes to choosing the right frame color, it’s important to consider your skin tone. This guide will help you identify which hues will complement your natural coloring, ensuring that your eyewear not only enhances your vision but also flatters your complexion.
Understanding Your Skin Tone
Your skin tone can be classified as warm, cool, or neutral. Here’s a quick way to determine where you fall on the spectrum:
- Warm: Skin has a yellow, golden, or peach undertone. Veins on the inside of the wrist appear green.
- Cool: Skin has pink, red, or bluish undertones. Veins on the inside of the wrist appear blue or purple.
- Neutral: A mix of warm and cool undertones, or your undertone is the same as your actual skin tone. Veins may appear colorless or match the skin.
Picking Frame Colors for Warm Skin Tones
If you have a warm complexion, opt for frame colors that are earthy or warm-toned:
- Browns, such as tortoiseshell, can add a natural warmth to your face.
- Golds and creams enhance the natural golden flashes in your skin.
- Rich colors like red, orange, or yellow can be bold choices that complement your warmth.
- Avoid pastels and other cool tones that might clash with your skin’s undertones.
Explore our collection of gold-toned frames that could be a perfect match for your warm complexion.
Picking Frame Colors for Cool Skin Tones
For those with a cool complexion, you’ll want frames that highlight the cool blue or pink undertones of your skin. Here are some suggestions:
- Silver and gray frames can enhance the natural coolness of your skin tone.
- Consider blue frames or green frames to echo the cool undertones in your complexion.
- Pink frames and purple frames also work well, offering a pop of color without overwhelming cool skin.
- Steer clear from overly warm tones that may create a stark contrast.
Don’t forget to check out our variety of silver and gray frames that can beautifully compliment cool skin tones.
Choosing Frame Colors for Neutral Skin Tones
Having a neutral skin tone means you have a wide range of colors to choose from. Here are a few tips:
- Most colors will suit you, but you might find specific shades in either warm or cool tones that work best.
- Olive, beige, or even certain shades of blue can serve as safe bets.
- Experiment with bold colors like burgundy or emerald green to add a touch of sophistication.
- If you prefer a subtle look, classic black or white frames are timeless and will always be in style.
Browse our full range of eyeglasses to find the perfect shade for your neutral skin tone.
Remember, the best frame color is one that you feel confident and comfortable wearing. With this guide, you’re well on your way to choosing eyewear that not only corrects your vision but also celebrates your individuality and style.
About the Author: Dr. Sophia Moh, OD, ABOC
Dr. Sophia Moh, OD, is an optometrist based in the Bay Area, California. She holds a doctorate from UC Berkeley School of Optometry and has worked in various eye care settings, including primary care optometry, general ophthalmology, community health clinics, and Veterans Affairs. Dr. Moh is dedicated to improving global vision health by making high-quality, affordable eyewear accessible to all. She is also a certified American Board Optician (ABO) and actively contributes to optical education through training and lectures.